Pan Canadian Written Exam October 2016
Clinical Case Studies Exam January 2017
EFT is the Emotional Freedom Technique developed by Gary Craig, drawing on theories of TCM, neuro-linguistic programming, energy medicine and thought-field therapy. The focus of EFT is on the stimulation of specific meridian points of the body by simply tapping on these points with our fingertips.
EFT, once you learn the steps, is quick and easy to practice, taking only a few minutes, and can be very effective in resolving fear and anxiety.
EFT diffuses the charge our nervous system experiences when we are in a fear state and replacing those areas of self-doubt with acceptance and self-love. By disengaging the fight-or-flight reactive state, we can move through experiences that were previously stressful instead with calmness and clarity.
Approximately 40 million Americans suffer from some form of anxiety disorder. EFT can help with mild to moderate anxiety.
To perform EFT, it is crucial for us to find our energy disruptions which result to us having negative feelings. Once we identify the issue, the tapping technique used from the EFT helps stimulate the energy pathways and balances the energy disruptions.
How to Practice EFT
- STEP 1: Identify the feeling or belief that is uncomfortable or feels like it is blocking you.
- STEP 2: Create a “Reminder Phrase” to Focus Your Mind on the Issue. For example, a social anxiety might be succinctly stated as a “fear of being ignored and disliked” or “ridiculed and laughed at”. Try to find the shortest, most powerful phrase that encapsulated your fear or uncomfortable feeling. Or it could be something simpler, such as a localized pain in the body
- STEP 3: Evaluate your discomfort or fear on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the worst)
- STEP 4: Tap repeatedly SI3, saying: “Even though I have this _______________, I accept myself deeply and completely”.
- STEP 5: Tap the following points in succession while repeating the “Reminder Phrase” (i.ee the fear or discomfort phrase: Du20, UB 2, GB 1, ST1, DU26, REN24, ST13, GB22, DU20. (Notice that the points go from Yang to Yin, from top to bottom)
- STEP 6: Evaluate again your discomfort or fear on a scale of 1 to 10. Repeat the process from Step 4 until we either get to zero or plateau.
Here is a video of the creator of EFT, Gary Craig, giving instructions on how to do EFT (instruction begins at 1:50). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wG2FA4vfLQ
If you tried doing Positive Visualization and felt blocks, fears, or negative self-talk blocking you, try doing a few minutes of EFT first before doing the Visualization.
EFT is very effective in dismantling fears, blockages and obstacles to manifesting what we really want. If you tried Positive Visualization but had a hard time due to fears or anxiety coming up, or negative self-talk, try doing a few minutes of EFT first. EFT is like mental-emotional housekeeping of our subconscious- clean out those false beliefs and fears, and move forward!